adapted from http://localfoods.about.com/od/fall/r/seedsquash.htm
1 medium butternut squash or 1 bag cubed squash (about 2 lbs)
1 T canola or other vegetable cooking oil
1 t brown mustard seeds
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely shredded
½ t salt
1 bunch collard greens, stemmed and chopped
¼ C chopped cilantro (optional)
- Halve squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, cut off and discard rind, and chop squash into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until you hear them “pop,” about 2 minutes. Add ginger and cook, stirring, until opaque and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Stir to combine, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Add additional water if necessary to keep squash from sticking to the pan.
- Add collard greens in the final 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Add cilantro for garnish and stir to combine.
This morning I felt like having some savory pancakes for breakfast. Luckily I had Nila Aunty’s recipe in my files. It is such a simple and delicious breakfast that I wanted to share it with you.
– Chickpea flour, 1 cup
– Cream of wheat 1/4 cup
– water, 1 – 1 ¼ cup
– salt, 1tsp
– lemon juice, at least 2 tsp, more to taste
– green chili or dry cayenne pepper ½ tsp, more to taste
– tomato,one, chopped, more to taste
– cilantro, for garnish, or mix in 1 Tbsp to batter
– chopped greens, ½ cup, add more if desired
Soy Yogurt Kadhi
Features: Soy yogurt in place of dairy yogurt to accompany khichdi.
California Quinoa Khichdi
Features: Low glycemic index, with protein rich quinoa and mung beans, calcium and iron rich greens, and Indian home/comfort food taste!
An awesome vegan Jain family, Shilpa, Keyur and kids, based in Fremont made more than 500 samples of this yummy kulfi that they handed out during the JCNC celebrations in August. Here is the recipe:
Vegan Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream Recipe)
Features: Sweet, creamy frozen treat, with no pretentions of being a health food, but a lovely taste of Indian ice cream on a hot day.